
The Players Championship Journal
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Beat the heat
Vic Micolucci
ER triage nurse Debbie Collins checks me for signs of heat exhaustion at volunteer first aid station P2.
As the week went on at The Players, the cloud cover diminished and the winds relaxed. This made for warmer days. Warm weather coupled with minor outdoor physical exertion, such as walking, mean there is danger for heat exhaustion or worse. As I was wandering at midday on one of the back sidewalks at Sawgrass with my camera dangling off my shoulder and my reporter’s notepad in my hand, three men in red came up to me on a golf cart.
They told me I looked hot and should go to the volunteer first aid station to hydrate. I suddenly felt a little weak in the knees. “Do I look sick?” Then they told me how they’ve been treating heat-related illnesses all week. They said a few had to be transported to area hospitals because of their complications from the high temperatures outside.
That’s when I was sure I’d visit the trailer with the red cross on it, if only for a minute. I walked inside and talked to two nurses from Beaches Baptist; Christie Lauderdale and Debbie Collins. They gave me cold water and told me to lay down on the gurney in the corner of the room. Debbie checked me over for symptoms of heat exhaustion; she took my temperature and listened to my heartbeat. Christie put cool compresses on my forehead.
I’ll admit, I didn’t mind the special treatment. After a 12-point inspection, the women told me I was healthy enough. But they couldn’t stress how important it was for me to stay hydrated. That’s what all the first aid workers said. “And not with beer.” I was told I was good to go.
They warned me to try to keep out of the heat as much as possible, what for the warning signs of heat exhaustion, and to listen for “four!” After all, the volunteers had to treat a man for a headache Friday after he was hit by a stray golf ball.

Nuk ka komente:
Posto një koment