e shtunë, 21 korrik 2007

Yellowcard promotes new album at Warped Tour

Jacksonville pop-rockers Yellowcard ended their stint on the 2007 Vans Warped Tour at home Thursday. After less than three weeks on the fast-paced circuit, they are making the transition because of a world tour in Australia and Japan.

“I haven’t gotten to see my family yet,” said lead singer and guitarist Ryan Key. “I’m excited.”

More exciting than the band’s homecoming may be the release of its new album, Paper Walls.


“This album is the triumphant story of finding yourself again. We learned a lot along the way,” said Key. “It touches on what it was like to come together again and work on a new album. It’s the story of breaking out of the walls around us.”



Key said, in songwriting, he focuses on showing the journeys and obstacles the members of Yellowcard face. “Ocean Avenue was a record about leaving home, finding your place in the world and overcoming the obstacles you face along the way.”

That album was, overall, very light-hearted and young; and it was overwhelmingly popular - millions of copies were sold worldwide.

Key documented a change in life after the band’s uncharted success.

“I soon got post-success syndrome after my whole entire life was turned upside down,'' he said. ''People tried to tell me who I was. I began partying too much and spending too much money. I was being an idiot.”

Key said this inspired the album Lights and Sounds.

“It has a very dark tone. It is the story of identity crisis and getting lost along the way. A lot of experimenting was going on.”

Luckily, Key said family and friends helped him and the band overcome their dark times. “It’s nice to have them to keep you grounded,” he recalled.

“ Paper Walls is a genuine sense of looking forward and having your feet on the ground.”

Yellowcard has faced local criticism for moving to Los Angeles after signing with Capitol Records. Key said it was nothing personal against Jacksonville.

“We had to go to Hollywood. At the time, the record company was a one-man business. We were stuffing envelopes there and we worked at Chili’s during the day. Jacksonville city was totally nurturing to rock music, but you can only play Jackrabbits and Caribbean Connection so many times. In California, you can play six different cities in a week. It just made sense.”

Key said he and the band faced accusations of betrayal to the fans on the First Coast.

“I thought, ‘I don’t even know you. How can I betray you?’ I want people here to love our music just like everyone else.”

The band showed its loyalty by not ending its time on the Warped Tour until it hit North Florida.


“Warped is the perfect way to start Paper Walls,” said Key. “You genuinely remember how you do it all. All the people there want to here music all day long. Nobody is sitting on the balcony.”

Nuk ka komente: